This week I hosted the latest We Are All Artists free art workshop. The event was held at The Wallington Arms and materials were kindly supplied by Arts Network Sutton.
One of the things on offer that evening was for our guests to make an owl drawing or painting, and contribute it to the free art project. Nine of our guests kindly obliged, so I now have a parliament of beautiful owls, waiting to be hidden in the local area.
You may have spotted there are in fact ten artworks here. I made one of them which has already been given away, I’ll do a remake for the art drop. Keep an eye out for these beautiful owls over the coming days.
I took a stroll along a stretch of The Wandle today, I love living close to a river. On my return, thoughts turned to this week’s free art drop, the 80th consecutive week of the project. Here’s what emerged from head onto paper, via paintbrushes.
Tools of the trade.
I’ve recently started using Pebeo paints as an alternative to Liquitex Heavy Body. There are a few iridescent shades in their range. Here’s most of what I used to make this picture, there’s also a mix of Winsor and Newton water colour in the background, not shown here.
Poppies are a design I enjoy painting, and with time for remembrance approaching, I’ve started to think about interpretations for this year. What I am sharing here is very much work in progress. I’m not yet sure if I’ll continue down this path, but part of the ‘deal’ with this blog is I often share my work as I go – so here’s where I’m currently at. These are made with spray paint, stencil and acrylic. The spray paint I am using is scarily unpredictable, from dribbles to full on paint explosions. I quite like the randomness…I think!?
Continuing the Autumn theme. I love the colours on show at this time of year, it’s a pleasure to try and replicate them. This design was inspired by some leaves Keira found last week, and the finished work became the most recent free art drop. Coincidentally, it was found by someone who has just returned from a trip to Canada, and they’ve shared the design on line today to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving Day.
I’ve included this new design in the made to order section of my Etsy shop – so if you want one, you know where to go 😉
I spent some time cycling and walking in The Peak District last weekend, Autumn colours are everywhere right now. I wanted to develop a new artwork to follow on from the recently published Autumn Leaf, which I’ve sold two versions of already. I spied a leaf on the ground, a mix of yellows, browns, pink and orange – this one just stood out in the crowd. I picked it up and studied it for a few minutes, before replacing it, and finishing my walk.
On my return to the hotel – I set to work trying to create a sense of Autumnal colours in my work. I enjoy the challenge of working with watercolours, I find them very unforgiving, and at times I lack the confidence to go all in. That feeling was absent this time, and I played with different techniques on different parts of the paper. This piece was completed over a two day period, and is now available to buy on my Etsy shop.
A couple of weeks ago a few of us went to see The Psychedelic Furs at the O2 Forum. This was the first time I’d seem them for decades – and you wonder, don’t you…how are they going to sound after all this time?
The band were in great form, the gig and the company was excellent. Since the performance I’ve been revisiting some of the band’s music – and the song Heartbreak Beat keeps sticking in my mind.
I made this piece of art in response to the song title. It shares the same name as the song, and hints at some of their mid-career visual imagery. This piece will be my next free art drop.
A simple design. Regular visitors to the blog will recognise the various elements which make up this image. I enjoy blending watercolour from one shade to another, it works really well as a background for a strong design. Th leaf is a shape I regularly doodle, and the gold leaf, whilst being a pain to work with, is one of my favourite materials to look at. Once everything was dry, I sprayed a coat of varnish on top to protect the metal.
This design sold very quickly, and I’ve already been asked to make another. I may well add that second one to the blog post once it is complete.